Register with us

We activate our service in consultation with the Ministry of Civil Defence for events where the scale of the disaster requires this specialised service. If your home has been damaged by a natural disaster for which we have been activated, and you need temporary accommodation, you can register with us. We will ask you for your contact details, information about your current living situation, and specific needs like pets or accessibility requirements.


We'll call you

A temporary accommodation staff member will be in touch within 2 working days of getting your registration. Our staff will work with you to find a temporary accommodation option that suits your household.


We’ll look at the best options for you

Our staff work to identify, source and, where necessary, create temporary accommodation options that will suit your household. Options may include existing undamaged residential housing stock, tourist accommodation, or portable cabins. In major events we have even built villages and communities. Options will be presented to you as they become available, so you can choose what you think will work best for your household.

Types of accommodations available

How much will it cost me?

Generally there is a cost for all temporary accommodation options. Check with your insurance provider to see if your policy will cover any temporary accommodation rent. If not, you can contact MSD to see if you qualify for financial assistance. 

Your Needs has information on financial assistance

How long can I use temporary accommodation?

We retain the service availability for as long as it is needed, in some cases we continue to run the service for many years after an event as people work through their insurance matters and schedule rebuilds and repairs. If you need our service you are able to stay in the Temporary Accommodation as long as it is required until you can return to a permanent living situation.

Jump to top