If you have been affected by the Edgecumbe floods or the Kaikoura earthquakes, and need support to find temporary accommodation, we can help.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) work together to assist displaced people find suitable temporary accommodation.

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, Tenancy Services has information on your rights and obligations after a natural disaster.

Apply for temporary accommodation

To register for temporary accommodation complete one of these forms:

When your registration is received, a MBIE staff member will contact you to assess your needs, and work with you to help you find suitable temporary housing.

If you are not able to access the form, you can freephone 0508 754 163 to discuss your requirements.

Alternatively, temporary accommodation needs can be registered in person at a MSD Work and Income Service Centres and Civil Defence Recovery Assistance Centres.

Information about applying for assistance

Register your property as temporary accommodation

If you have accommodation in the regions affected by a natural disaster which could be used for those requiring temporary accommodation, please register your property as temporary accommodation. A MBIE temporary accommodation staff member will contact you if your property details match with the needs of people who have registered.

Complete our form to list your property

More information

If you need further information, please contact:

Phone: 0508 754 163

Email: temp.accom@mbie.govt.nz

Those affected by the 2010/11 Canterbury earthquakes should visit the Canterbury earthquake temporary accommodation service website.